- Tickets: Full price €8,00 / Reduced-price € 6,00 over 65, € 3,50 for children aged 7 to 16 years old
- Opening hours: Open the website
- Parking: free parking in the surrounding area
The Castle of Duino, the historical residence of the della Torre and Tasso Princes (Thurm und Taxis), is perched on a high, rocky cliff above the sea while the ancient castle, now in ruins, stood on a promontory nearby. The original nucleus of the fortress was built in the 1300s on the ruins of a Roman outpost, and it was later englobed by the remains of a 16th century tower, which is still visible today. Over the centuries, the castle was enlarged and renovated many times into the structure it is now. From the numerous terraces and windows you can enjoy a spectacular view of the gulf, which inspired several poets and famous personalities.
In addition to documents and family photos, there are rooms with furniture from various periods in the past and decorated with paintings and objects of various genres of the time, such as furnishings and so forth.
Not to be missed
1. The park is characterized by the classical Mediterranean vegetation, which surrounds many statues and the ancient well with the family crest.
2. The Bunker of the Castle of Duino was constructed in 1943 by the organization TODT for the German navy to defend the naval base of Sistiana against a possible Allied attack.
3. The panoramic path dedicated to the poet Rainer Maria Rilke.
- Guided visit languages: Italian, English, German, Slovenian, French, Russian
- Tour languages: Italian, English
- Refreshment point
- Animal access