- Free entry
- Opening hours: By appointment
- Bus: 6
- Parking: free parking in the surrounding area
The Museum of the Old Port of Trieste consists of the Hydrodynamic Centre and the Electric Substation and Warehouse 26.
The Hydrodynamic Power Station was built in 1890, and was the most important building port as it held the machines for the distribution of energy in the port.
Trieste, Hamburg, Buenos Aries, Calcutta and Genoa were the first ports in the world to equip themselves with a Hydrodynamic Centrer The pressurized water produced by the power station was distributed throughout the port through 6,500 meters of underground pipelines, directly supplying cranes, docks and hoists. The system consisted of a battery of 10 Lancashire Boilers of the Cornwall model, 4 pressure generating machines built by Breitfeld Danek & Co. Prague-Karolinenthal and an auxiliary pump. As a result of the restoration work, the Hydrodynamic Centre has become a museum of its own with the nearby Electric Reconversion Subdivision.
Auxiliary to the Central Hydrodynamic complex, in 1913, the electric transformer substation was built. The main space of the building is occupied by the transformer room, surrounded by protected tunnels, stairs, guides for winches and electrical equipment.
Both buildings have been restored and turned into a museum in recent years and often host temporary exhibitions.
A final building, Warehouse 26, an industrial building with an area of 30,000 m2 and a length of 244 meters has been conservatively restored and is suitable for hosting exhibitions, events or conferences.
Not to be missed
- Guided visit languages: Italian
- Disabled access
- Refreshment point
- Animal access